Well, now that Valentine’s Day has come and gone, I can share the surprise on the blog! I surprised my husband with tickets to Europe yesterday for our 3rd annual Italian adventure. We had been going back and forth about going because of the state of world right now, but we both agreed that Italy would be a safe choice. I still wasn’t convinced, but Friday I got a fare alert on a great flight from Dallas to Europe. I put it on hold to think about it a little more. On Saturday, I realized that if I didn’t take the opportunity to relax, recharge, and reconnect with my husband… it was going to be a long year. Self care is real right now, friends. SO. I booked the tickets on Saturday night and had to keep it a secret until yesterday!
Italian Adventure – Where are we Going?
I’m still working on these details, but I think we will definitely return to Florence (and stay at the St. Regis Florence). I’ve been toying with the idea of making Florence our home base for a longer period of time and making day trips to some of the smaller Tuscan towns. I’d love to visit Siena, Montepulciano, and get into the hill towns.
We’re definitely going to stay in Cinque Terre again. I’ve been checking out the AirBnB options – has anyone ever used this? Fill me in on everything we need to know if we do! I’d love to go a little further up the coast and visit Portofino.
And, I have yet to experience staying in Venice proper. I’ve stayed on Isole delle Rose, Guidecca, and the mainland… I would love to stay in the heart of Venice and spend a few early mornings and late nights roaming the canals when we feel like we have the streets to ourselves.
Italian Adventure – What are we going to do?
- Cooking classes. We really loved making pesto in Cinque Terre last year, and my mom and I took a cooking class in Florence in 2010. I’d love to take a few more on this trip.
- Wine tasting. Despite studying abroad and three trips to Italy, I’ve never done a wine tour.
- Tours. I’ve never taken a proper tour of Florence. This is definitely on my list. There’s also a driving tour into the Tuscan countryside driving a Fiat500. I’d like to do one of the evening tours.
- More pictures. I’ve become a lot more critical of my photography and I’m still trying to capture the perfect images of Italy. One of my “bucket list” items is to photograph a city from sunrise to midnight using ambient light. I’d love to do this in Florence, Venice and the Cinque Terre villages.
Italian Adventure – Your Thoughts?
I LOVE scouring blogs for ideas. Whether it’s restaurants, tours, hotels or things to experience, I love to source my information from other bloggers. Now I’m flipping our Italian adventure planning to you:
- Where would you go?
- What would you do?
- Can you suggest anywhere we should go?
- Any place you want to see or know about?
Be sure and check back on Saturday for my Venice Italy photos from our April 2016 adventure. (If I’m being completely honest, editing those pictures probably convinced me to pull the trigger!)
Linking up for #WanderfulWednesday