My friend’s mom makes THE BEST blueberry pie in the entire world. I attempted to serve it at Christmas, and I DROPPED the pie when pulling it out of the oven. I almost cried – not because I ruined the dessert – but because I lost part of the pie. It’s that good. You know what’s better than that though? A mini blueberry pie recipe.
Apparently, I have a thing for mini pies. Remember my mini apple pies from Thanksgiving many moons ago?
Side note: I started doing some organizing and updating of the blog last weekend. You’ll find a few new landing pages (i.e. my tried and true recipes) and categories. I’m also thinking about adding more photography tips and tricks – is there anything you want to learn?
I digress. Today is supposed to be about pie. A mini blueberry pie recipe at at that – so let’s get to it, shall we?
Mini Blueberry Pie Recipe
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 3 cups of fresh blueberries
- 1/2 teaspoon of grated lemon peel
- 3-1/2 tablespoons of quick-cooking tapioca
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup of sugar
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 2 boxes of two 9" ready-made piecrust dough
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon of water
- Sugar sprinkles (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Roll out piecrust and use 2.5" round cookie cutter to cut 12 mini pie crusts. Line muffin tins with mini pie crusts. Cut out another 12 circles to use as tops for the pies.
- Mix sugar, salt, lemon peel, tapioca, cinnamon and lemon juice in large bowl.
- Add blueberries to mixture and stir until coated.
- Scoop 1/4 cup of pie mixture into each muffin tin.
- Cut butter into cubes and dot in muffin tins.
- Whisk egg and water to create egg wash for pie tops.
- Cut vents into pie top, brush with egg wash. Carefully push pie crust over blueberry mixture and tuck in sides. Add sugar sprinkles, if desired.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until pies become golden brown. Let pies cool for 15 minutes before removing from tin onto cooling rack. If pies stick, run a butter knife along the edge slowly to loosen from muffin tin.
Mini Blueberry Pie Recipe – Notes:
As a personal preference, I prefer to serve blueberry pie when it has cooled completely, and it’s really tasty with vanilla ice cream. If you wanted to adjust this for a traditional blueberry pie recipe, you would use 4 cups of fresh blueberries instead of 3 and you would only need 2 pie crusts instead of 4.
Also, I am clearly not a food blogger. Taste has nothing to do with aesthetics. For pretty pictures of tasty food, check out Jasmine’s blog. (I’m obsessed with her blog and secretly want to be her.)