Gates Millennium apps took over my life last week and yesterday was an absolute doozy… so I’m going to my happy place… and that happens to be dreaming up the adventures that my sweet husband and I are going to have in… oh… about 88 days. Since I do know we are for sure heading to Italy… I figured I’d show you some pictures from when my mom and I went to Venice in 2010. It was the end of a 10-day trip to Florence and Venice, and we had such an incredible time. When I look back at these photos, it’s fun to see how little Venice has changed in the five years since I was there… and in the twelve years since I was there in during the Fall of 2004. It really is a magical place.
These two photos are my some of my favorite night shots I’ve ever taken. It was the first night we were in Venice, and I can remember bracing my camera up against a pillar, tilting the lens up with pennies, and my mom admonishing not to slip off the rocks into the canal. We were waiting on the shuttle to our hotel, and the view of Venice in the evening just took my breath away. When I visited Venice in 2004, we stayed on the mainland, so I never got to experience this side of Venice… and suffice it to say, it was incredible.
Highlights of Venice 2010
- Getting up early (like 7:00am early) before the throngs of tourists arrived and photographing the still city its early morning quiet
- Seeing how the canals reflected the magnificent structures and colors in the stillness of morning
- Looking for beautiful doors, windows, and planter boxes – each with their own character and beauty
- Seeing how the brilliant midday sun created bright reflections on shaded alley ways
- Learning how to appreciate the small details in mammoth structures
- Seeing how rain would beautifully reflect off the streets to create haunting images – both during the early evening and at night