A couple of weeks ago, I was working from home on a Friday afternoon. I decided to break up the monotony by working on the best snickerdoodle recipe. (In case you haven’t noticed by my recipes, I’m the original cookie monster.) I didn’t want to go to the store, so I needed to use what we had at home. Thankfully, we had just enough of everything on hand.
I wasn’t exactly paying attention though, so I ended up dumping more cinnamon into the dough than usual. (I generally try to follow Lovin’ from the Oven’s recipe.) It didn’t matter. The best snickerdoodle recipe never, ever fails, and the cookies were delicious anyway.
These cookies turn out soft and chewy with an understated cinnamon sugar flavor. I love the way the house smells while these cookies are baking! It smells like Christmas and these tend to be a holiday favorite for me!
Best Snickerdoodle Recipe
- 1/2 cup of softened butter (I cut mine into chunks to expedite this process!)
- 1/2 cup of sugar plus 2 tablespoons set aside
- 1/3 cup of brown sugar
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1-1/2 cups of flour
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of Cream of Tartar
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon, divided
- Mix butter, sugar, and brown sugar on high until creamed. Add egg and vanilla and mix thoroughly. (Do not overmix!)
- Combine flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon and Cream of Tartar in another bowl. Pour dry ingredients into wet ingredients. Mix well.
- Let dough rest in refrigerator for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of sugar and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon on a paper plate (for easy clean up).
- Form dough balls and roll in cinnamon sugar mixture until coated. Place on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake 16 minutes. Lift parchment paper off cookie sheet onto cooling rack. Cookies will be slightly doughy until set.
Ooo they look so tasty!!
hello erin says
hello delicious. i swear you’re the queen of delicious cookies !
Bri @ My Life As says
My favorite cookie!
John and I were just talking about how he had no idea what snickerdoodles are because he’s never had them. I need to make these!
I NEED TO MAKE THESE, LOVE a good snickerdoodle.
Ashley The Wandering Weekenders says
I love snickerdoodle cookies so much! They’re so delicious and this recipe looks amazing! And a little extra cinnamon never hurt anybody!
These look delicious!
Petite in Pearls
YUM! I’ve never seen these with some cream of tartar. What a great idea <3
The Gluten Free Guide to Everything says
It sounds so good! I’m going to try this with gluten free flour!
Marije | thegfguide.com
These are my favorite cookies year round!! xo, Biana –BlovedBoston
Carolina Charm says
I definitely need to make these!!!
Oh my gosh, I ADORE a good Snickerdoodle recipe and these sound FABULOUS!