Tom’s dad’s birthday is in March, so I offered to bake his favorite dessert for his party. He happily accepted my offer on one condition – that I use Splenda. I’ve tried to bake with Splenda previously, and it’s never really worked out all that well for me, but I decided to give it a whirl again. I scoured the internet for diabetic friendly strawberry shortcake recipe, reading review and review, and eventually decided on one from Food.com. It was SUPER easy and it tastes just as good as the real thing!
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, and I may receive a small commission if you make a purchase.
- 6 cups of sliced strawberries
- 1/2 cup of Splenda, granulated
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons of
- Heart Smart Bisquick
- 1/4 cup of Splenda, granulated
- 2 tablespoons of non-fat sour cream
- 1/3 cup of non-fat milk
- 1 can of non-fat whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Mash two cups of strawberries with 1/2 cup of Splenda in medium mixing bowl.
- Add remaining strawberries. Cover and refrigerate.
- Stir Bisquick and 1/4 cup Splenda in a bowl.
- Add milk and sour cream. Mix until a soft dough forms.
- Drop 6 spoonfuls of batter onto greased cookie sheet.
- Bake until golden brown. Mine took about 8 minutes.
- Let cool for 10 minutes on cooling rack.
- Slice in half, layer strawberry mixture and whipped topping in middle. Garnish with whipped cream and strawberry.
Diabetic Friendly Strawberry Shortcake Recipe – My Notes:
- Heart Smart Bisquick is found with the cake mixes, NOT the pancakes mixes.
- I found about 2.5 pints of small strawberries was equal to 6 cups of sliced strawberries. (The other half pint was enough for garnish!)
- I made a double batch of the dough, and it was more than enough cake for this strawberry mixture. Furthermore, I had some left over!
- Since we had to drive with these for 45 minutes, I only did one layer of strawberries and one layer of cream. Anything more would have been too much.
- I used a serrated knife to cut the shortcake in half, and I think a smoother knife would have been better. The cake is SO, SO soft!!
Leave a Reply