Can I be honest here? (Of course I can – it’s my blog.) I’m a baking snob. I hate ready-to-bake, processed items. I LOVE to bake from scratch. I also happen to be insanely busy, so anytime I can find a way to optimize my time, I take advantage of it. Last year, I hosted a couple holidays in our home, and I knew I wanted to make cookies, but I knew that the oven would be occupied with other items, so I started working on a slice and bake cookie recipe that could be prepped ahead of time!
This toffee shortbread was a hit! The cookies stayed moist, they weren’t overly sweet, and it was easy to pop them in the oven when I was ready to make them. Clean up was super easy because all the “heavy lifting” was done ahead of time!
Toffee Shortbread – Slice and Bake Cookie Recipe:
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup butter, room temperature, cut into cubes for easy mixing
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2-1/4 cups of flour
- 8oz of chopped, chocolate covered toffee bars
- Cream butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Combine egg and vanilla into butter mixture until smooth.
- Mix in flour (dough will become stiff)
- Stir in toffee bar pieces.
- Turn out dough onto baking mat, form into log approximately 2″ in diameter. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap until ready to bake.
- To bake:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Slice dough into 1/3-1/4″ pieces.
- Bake on lined cookie sheet for 10 minutes or until lightly browned. (Cookies may appear gooey, but they will set. Don’t overcook.)
- Let cookies cool on a wire rack.
Toffee Shortbread Recipe Notes:
- This hand chopper is my favorite thing for candy and nuts. It makes everything so much easier and keeps it contained in one place. It also comes apart for easy cleaning.
- I think wrapping cooking dough in plastic wrap is way easier to navigate than using foil. If you’re concerned about it drying out, you could put it in a ziplock bag to keep it fresh.
I’m totally a baking snob- I won’t bake from a box either! We should bake together sometime! It’d double as therapy and hangout! <3
These look really good. I love an easy cookie recipe.
These easy Slice and Bake Butter Toffee Shortbread Cookies are rich and buttery, and perfect for holiday baking or to have along with your afternoon coffee.